Pages

Friday, December 13, 2013

IDEAS CAN COME FOR ANYWHERE

I was doing an interview recently when, not for the first or last time, I was momentarily stumped by a question. There is an expectation for interviewees to have an instant answer to whatever they are asked, but often this simply isn't the case.
You need a moment to think when questioned on a new topic, and during this interlude bright ideas can sometimes arrive. Interviews are a good time to question your beliefs and think about what you really believe in; it's a bit like sitting on a psychiatrist's couch. 

The same goes if you are having a good chat with a friend, as opposed to an interview. By challenging each other in conversation, you can get to the root of issues and develop new plans.

A journalist once asked me in an interview if I'd ever thought of going into the rail business. I replied that it could be a good idea. The next thing I knew there was a headline in the Sunday Telegraph saying: “Branson to go into trains.” So at that point I needed to go and build a team! Virgin Trains has now been running for 16 years and counting.

Where do good ideas usually strike you?

Richard Branson
Founder at Virgin Group

No comments: